When you are familiar with the method of Centering prayer, you can really begin praying. Read the Pamphlet on the Method of Centering Prayer and clarify any questions with someone who is familiar with the prayer practice or alternatively submit your enquiry to the team at Contemplative Outreach Ireland who will be happy to respond to you.
To truly ground yourself in the practice of Centering Prayer it would be helpful to attend an Introductory Workshop with a Contemplative Outreach trained presenter who will guide you in the method of Centering Prayer and encourage you to begin a daily commitment to the practice. It is essential in starting off to study the book “Open Mind Open Heart” by Fr. Thomas Keating that is designed to initiate the reader into a deep, living relationship with God.
The Introductory Workshop is usually spaced over an afternoon or three evenings and covers a number of different topics such as:
- Prayer as Relationship
- Rooting Centering Prayer in the Word of God and Tradition particularly the practice of Lectio Divina
- An explanation of the Guidelines
- Use of the Sacred Word
- Different types of Thoughts
- The Fruits of Centering Prayer and extending the fruits into daily life
Those who attend an Introductory Workshop are also encouraged to further deepen their understanding by attending a six-week follow up programme.
Further Optional Reading
Other books to read when getting started that you may find helpful are:
- An Invitation to Centering Prayer: M. Basil Pennington and Luke Dysinger
- A Taste of Silence: Fr. Carl Arico
- Centering Prayer in Life and Ministry: Fr.Thomas Keating, Gustave Reninger